Show off your custom figures

Author
LOYAL CADRE
LOYAL CADRE

Re: Show off your custom figures

Post by john shaft »

Kal-El wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:35 pm Andrea suggested going and getting a cheap figure and testing out several things on different parts, such as mineral spirits. It probably depends on if you used water based or oil based paint. I personally have done so few customs i have never considered stripping. Maybe YTJ or proto have some ideas.
Great idea on the mineral spirits! And if I recall I think I used a subset of Testors back in the day which I believe was water based.
ImageImage

yorktownjoe
ADMINISTRATOR YORKTOWNJOE
Code Name: YorktownJoe
File Name: Classified
Primary Military Specialty: Counter-intelligence
Secondary Military Specialty: Sense o' humor
Grade: O-4

Post by yorktownjoe »

My brother and I discovered using clear nail polish works well for getting off one coat of paint.

Read it slower this time. Nail polish.

Now once again. Nail polish.

Notice no where in this post the word that rhymes with "memo0ver." DO NOT USE nail polish remover. I soaked a figure in there and his feet almost immediately melted away. It was a sickening experience. Do not use something that rhymes with "vevoomer."

Apply a thin coat of clear nail polish. Wait about 10 to 15 seconds. Gently wipe away.

We painted a hot wheels car several time, and this method removed only one layer of paint at a time. It might be time consuming, but it works.

I don't think I would trust it around Cobra silver or red sigils though.

Remember kids, ask your wife, girlfriend, or mom's permission before using their polish for these purposes. Or at least put it back EXACTLY where you found it when the mission is completed.

"NOW we KNOW!" "And knowing's...." :D

Train
ADMINISTRATOR TRAIN
ADMINISTRATOR TRAIN
Code Name: Train
File Name: Mitch Smith
Grade: E

Post by Train »

yorktownjoe wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:35 am My brother and I discovered using clear nail polish works well for getting off one coat of paint.

Notice no where in this post the word that rhymes with "memo0ver." DO NOT USE nail polish remover. I soaked a figure in there and his feet almost immediately melted away. It was a sickening experience. Do not use something that rhymes with "vevoomer."

Apply a thin coat of clear nail polish. Wait about 10 to 15 seconds. Gently wipe away.

We painted a hot wheels car several time, and this method removed only one layer of paint at a time. It might be time consuming, but it works.

Remember kids, ask your wife, girlfriend, or mom' permission before using their polish for these purposes. Or at least put it back EXACTLY where you found it when the mission is completed.

Great info YTJ

john shaft
LOYAL CADRE
LOYAL CADRE

Post by john shaft »

yorktownjoe wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:35 am My brother and I discovered using clear nail polish works well for getting off one coat of paint.

Remember kids, ask your wife, girlfriend, or mom's permission before using their polish for these purposes. Or at least put it back EXACTLY where you found it when the mission is completed.

Thanks YTJ! I will see about trying that as well. Since I live with just my son I wouldn't need to ask permission to use it. However when my girlfriend is over she may be like "why do you have nail polish?" since she does not know about my hobby. lol
ImageImage

yorktownjoe

Post by yorktownjoe »

That was a memory of some fun and some PTSD from the 80's. I have no idea if nail polish has evolved since then. And Mom had some light colors. I'd suggest clear, as if colors creep into some nooks and crannies of a figure, it might be harder to wipe it all away. The figure whose feet disintegrated from polish REMOVER was a Storm Shadow v1 who we had painted all black. It was brutal. And a painful lesson.

Use with caution on something as an experiment first, then check your results.

If you did this to a beater figure, you can get back to the original color the figure was molded in, but if it was shiny before, it might look faded or more of a matte afterwards.

john shaft
LOYAL CADRE
LOYAL CADRE

Post by john shaft »

Yeah I remember back in my 07-12 collecting days I used some less desirable figures such as 25th Steelers and I think a 25th Cobra Commander as my test experiments with painting and such. If I decide to go the customizing route again would have to think long and hard which ones to use now they are so much more expensive these days. lol
ImageImage

yorktownjoe

Post by yorktownjoe »

Everything is ridiculously high right now. Makes me want to flip a few things to cover the impending horror of the next 3 months of pre-orders hitting, lol.

Doc Proto
ADMINISTRATOR DOC PROTO
ADMINISTRATOR DOC PROTO
Code Name: Protoxero
File Name: Minasu
Primary Military Specialty: Ninja, A.F.MD.
Secondary Military Specialty: Covert Opps
Grade: 0-4

Post by Doc Proto »

I've striped a few black major cobra logos off the tiger force cobras. It's super easy, get lacquer thinner and a cotton ball. Use just a little at a time and be careful it can melt the plastic in over use. Go over the logo till it's gone.

Doc Proto
ADMINISTRATOR DOC PROTO
ADMINISTRATOR DOC PROTO

Post by Doc Proto »

Umm don't use the nail polish remover it's too strong, yes it works but also melts figures fast. See above post.
Use a clear coat to re gloss your Fig if needed. And lacquer thinner is more manly then polish remover.

john shaft
LOYAL CADRE
LOYAL CADRE

Post by john shaft »

Thanks proto! And I was actually trying to think of ways to save the Cobra logo instead of striping it. The one custom I have is a painted over Cobra Trooper and I was trying to decide whether to remove the custom paint in order to restore it to being a CT, while preserving the logo
ImageImage

john shaft
LOYAL CADRE
LOYAL CADRE

Post by john shaft »

Just got several Marauder Gun Runners figures. Does anyone know how to take them apart? I am looking to kitbash them
ImageImage

Doc Proto
ADMINISTRATOR DOC PROTO
ADMINISTRATOR DOC PROTO

Post by Doc Proto »

john shaft wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:19 am Just got several Marauder Gun Runners figures. Does anyone know how to take them apart? I am looking to kitbash them
Those are basically like the 25th stuff. If i rember right i think You probably need to Crack apart the torso. Then re glue when done.

john shaft
LOYAL CADRE
LOYAL CADRE

Post by john shaft »

Doc Proto wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:10 pm
john shaft wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:19 am Just got several Marauder Gun Runners figures. Does anyone know how to take them apart? I am looking to kitbash them
Those are basically like the 25th stuff. If i remember right i think You probably need to Crack apart the torso. Then re glue when done.
Ugh, hoping not to go that route. I remember trying to crack open a 25th torso and I think I damaged it pretty good.

I see pins in place of a screw on the Marauder figs so assume I need to push on the small side to push them out?
ImageImage

Doc Proto
ADMINISTRATOR DOC PROTO
ADMINISTRATOR DOC PROTO

Post by Doc Proto »

john shaft wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:31 pm
Those are basically like the 25th stuff. If i remember right i think You probably need to Crack apart the torso. Then re glue when done.
Ugh, hoping not to go that route. I remember trying to crack open a 25th torso and I think I damaged it pretty good.

I see pins in place of a screw on the Marauder figs so assume I need to push on the small side to push them out?
Yeah heat em up frist via warm water then push the pin small side out.

john shaft
LOYAL CADRE
LOYAL CADRE

Post by john shaft »

Doc Proto wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:11 pm
john shaft wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:31 pm

Yeah heat em up frist via warm water then push the pin small side out.
Thanks brother, I will give it a shot!

Gonna have to use warm water on my Retro Grunt as well. I popped his head off the other night thinking it was just like the other modern line and apparently there are now two pegs for these heads.Not sure how I am going to kitbash him with a standard modern/Marauders body now unless I can somehow remove the peg that is in his head.
ImageImage

Return to “CUSTOMS”