GI JOE’S MARVEL COMICS LEGACY REKINDLED!

Author
FOUNDER KAL-EL
FOUNDER KAL-EL

GI JOE’S MARVEL COMICS LEGACY REKINDLED!

Post by Kal-El »

Skybound Entertainment is reigniting the excitement for G.I. Joe aficionados, both seasoned and new, by reintroducing the cherished Marvel Comics series penned by Larry Hama.

Taking a nostalgic journey back to the 1980s, Skybound Entertainment is resurrecting the iconic G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero comic series, originally published by Marvel Comics. This comic saga, intertwined with Hasbro’s multimedia revival of the G.I. Joe toyline, chronicles the adventures of the G.I. Joe team as they confront the nefarious Cobra, a global terrorist organization hell-bent on domination. After languishing out of print for years, Skybound has unveiled plans to compile the classic series into a series of compendium collections.

Since 2023, Skybound Entertainment, an esteemed division of Image Comics, has been entrusted with the publishing rights to Hasbro franchises, including Transformers and G.I. Joe. Following in the footsteps of IDW Publishing, Skybound now proudly presents the revival of the comics that laid the foundation for these iconic brands. The inaugural volume, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero Compendium Vol. 1, gathers the initial 50 issues of this legendary comic series, masterfully crafted by the renowned Larry Hama.

Celebrating its Marvel heritage, this collection not only features the creative brilliance of Hama and artist Herb Trimpe but also showcases cover art by the acclaimed Andy Kubert. Sean Mackiewicz, SVP of Skybound, expressed his excitement about the forthcoming reissue, stating, “This compendium marks the commencement of Skybound’s endeavor to preserve Hasbro’s remarkable backlist of G.I. JOE comics. G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero was my gateway into comics, brimming with captivating characters and pulse-pounding action, and it’s a delight to reintroduce readers to the original Hasbro comics that captivated a generation of fans.”

This compilation heralds the long-awaited return of the original Marvel Comics series, which had been absent from collectors’ shelves for several years. Previous collections by IDW Publishing had long since vanished from circulation following the expiration of the company’s publishing rights to the franchise. Additionally, Skybound will unveil a similar compendium of Marvel Comics, collating the original Transformers series, in honor of the franchise’s 40th anniversary.

In addition to this homage to classic G.I. Joe tales, Skybound Entertainment boasts a diverse array of offerings for contemporary G.I. Joe enthusiasts. The publisher has revitalized G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, continuing the classic narrative with Larry Hama at the helm. Moreover, the company is actively releasing titles such as Duke and Cobra Commander, set within a distinct continuity that intersects with the overarching “Energon Universe.” Other titles within this shared universe include Skybound’s revamped Transformers series and the original title, Void Rivals.

The classic Marvel G.I. Joe and Transformers comic books, though contemporaneous with their respective animated series, charted unique narrative trajectories. This divergence allowed both mediums to explore distinct storylines and characters, often venturing into darker territory, including the demise of beloved protagonists. Notably, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero holds the distinction of being the longest-running licensed comic book series to date.

Source: Skybound
Attachments
unnamed-3-666x1024.jpg
unnamed-3-666x1024.jpg (283.08 KiB) Viewed 73 times

Return to “Yo Joe!!! Cobra!!!”