ADMINISTRATOR TRAIN
Code Name: Train
File Name: Mitch Smith
Grade: E

WNBA growing overnight

Post by Train »

IMG_0502.jpeg
IMG_0502.jpeg (801.46 KiB) Viewed 244 times
Hello everybody. Today I’m taking a look at the WNBA and the growth from 2023 to 2024 has basically exploded over night or over one off season. The past couple of years Caitlin Clark has had a lot of new eyes checking out women’s NCAA basketball. There has always been talented female players starting with the first draft class in 1997. Initially there were 16 players randomly assigned to the newly formed teams such as Vicky Bullett and Sheryl Swoops, then each team entered a formal draft pick and the WNBA was formed. Over the past couple of decades it’s been a rough road for viewership and attendance. Clark, Angel Reese, and a handful of other young talent have been drawing people into the game with some high quality basketball, some taunting, and something the WNBA may have been lacking, drama. The drama around these players much like the WWE who glorified it created excitement and interest for the sport. Nobody wants to see a fight these days, but everyone wants to see a fight these days. I love seeing a good hard battle and when you’re playing a sport sometimes you’re going to take one to the chin. There were a few scuffles at the end of the year in NCAA women’s basketball and everyone said I don’t want to see fights like this, but sometimes seeing that passion and seeing a young player do something they know will lead to an ejection just shows that we are all human and sometimes we have meltdowns like a 2 year old in a candy store. The quick turnaround from the NCAA finals and WNBA preseason may help as people’s brains are still holding that fresh thought of watching some of the great young talent we have and hopefully for the sake the WNBA will carry over and spark some excitement at the professional level. Men’s sports have become less affordable for the average family to go watch and the WNBA is sitting on a golden gateway for a family to go watch a basketball game at the highest level. Overall I would say that women’s basketball now has some controversy and drama to peak more people’s interest. The more interest you have the more money the WNBA will generate and bottom line, this is the only thing that will lead to equal pay for NBA and WNBA players. I think the coming years in WNBA will be exciting once all the college kids move up and there is some fierce competition to watch and enjoy. Have a great week everybody.

Return to “THE POP EXPOSE”