Is the transfer portal helping or hurting NCAA basketball?

Author
ADMINISTRATOR TRAIN
ADMINISTRATOR TRAIN
Code Name: Train
File Name: Mitch Smith
Grade: E

Is the transfer portal helping or hurting NCAA basketball?

Post by Train »

IMG_0331.jpeg
IMG_0331.jpeg (108.23 KiB) Viewed 841 times
Hello everybody. The college basketball finals are upon us and we will have champions crowned first the men and women’s 2024 basketball teams. It has been a hard fought season to the end and only 2 teams remain to duke it out for the royal crown. Next year is looking much different in college basketball. Men and women across the country are taking advantage of jumping ship with the ease of the transfer portal. What is making these players leave their school. Is it wanting more play time, better climate, or is it all about the money? So the big question is, does the transfer portal help or hurt college basketball? It feels a bit more professional now and most of these kids have been playing basketball since before they could walk. So if you come in to college with a solid 10-15 years of experience you might as well get some cash while you can. The top athletes do get scholarships to go to school an opportunity not everyone has. They also get to take advantage of travel and food expenses while they are on the road. Some are lucky to get endorsement deals and/or a commercial deal. I’m not sure why so many kids are bouncing around though. For example Syracuse is loosing a few starters this year and we are gaining a few from the looks of it. Maybe it helps kids and teams alike find people they gel with. Coaches can look for the right players and not necessarily the best players. It will be interesting to see how the portal and money affect Universities differently going forward. What do y’all think about the old transfer portal, specifically for Men and Women’s basketball? Have a great week everybody.
IMG_0329.jpeg
IMG_0329.jpeg (134.7 KiB) Viewed 841 times

yorktownjoe
ADMINISTRATOR YORKTOWNJOE
ADMINISTRATOR YORKTOWNJOE
Code Name: YorktownJoe
File Name: Classified
Primary Military Specialty: Counter-intelligence
Secondary Military Specialty: Sense o' humor
Grade: O-4

Re: Is the transfer portal helping or hurting NCAA basketball?

Post by yorktownjoe »

A: Hurting it.

I get if a kid is rocking it out at a D-III school with no scholarship, then for sure, let the kid transfer.

But once on scholarship, commit and stick with the date you chose for the dance.

The hard part is kids make a decision based partially on the coach. And coaches bounce around too.

But if a kid is getting 4 years free college, that's not exactly receiving nothing. Maybe the deals should say that they get a free scholarship to play, but if they transfer, they need to pay it back. With some exceptions like if their coach left or something.

But what do I know? I value loyalty over hopping around.

Kal-El
FOUNDER KAL-EL
FOUNDER KAL-EL

Re: Is the transfer portal helping or hurting NCAA basketball?

Post by Kal-El »

If they are going to go with a pro model and allow transfer portal I.E. free agency and NIL errr getting paid which is not being done the way it was proposed in the beginning, then they have to run the entirety of college sports like a pro model and not like the wild west with no regulations or rules.

All that said to say that running college sports like a pro-model outside of Basketball and Football will never work because there is not enough money to run the other sports that way.

They really have just wrecked the entire system and in the end its going to come back to bite them in the butt. Personally i don't want to see the big 10 and SEC win anything. The people running those conferences are driving the entirety of college sports into destruction and all they care about is how much money they can grab in the process. All the other conferences are afraid to stand up to them. So consequently if things are not stopped we will have a conglomerate of semi-pros with the teams in those two conferences and everyone else. I say give them their own little trophy and let them play in their own sand box and let all the rest of the schools compete as true amateurs.

Return to “THE POP EXPOSE”