ADMINISTRATOR TRAIN
Code Name: Train
File Name: Mitch Smith
Grade: E

A look back at GI Joe 2012

Post by Train »

IMG_9865.jpeg
IMG_9865.jpeg (39.2 KiB) Viewed 619 times
Welcome to the Outpost. Today I’m taking a look back at 2012 as a whole. This was a good year but things were sliding quickly in the wrong direction in my opinion. As we all know some of the figures got real cheap. Some of the retaliation figures looked cool but had minimal articulation. There were a few of my favorite characters that were exclusives like Voltar, Horror Show, and Footloose, all that I would love to have. Footloose was one of the first figures I bought as a kid and would have loved this one. It wasn’t a complete washout though. The Rock as Roadblock is cool, but I always thought they should have just made him The Rock kind of like SGT Slaughter, but maybe there was some conflict with the WWE? There were some Amazon exclusives that look pretty cool but I never had any of those. There were some amazing finds with the Dollar General figures. They were short lived but I was all over these figures especially the Shipwreck. I made a lot of custom figures including a custom Train. I don’t know why they were short live, these were just great figures and affordable. I think if they would have continued with these figures they would have made a mint. I guess slow and steady went out the window and the years to come would be exclusive and convention figures that I just did not have extra cash to purchase awesome figures. Over all this was still a solid year and I wish I could of picked up that awesome Oktober Guard set. Who are your favorite figures from this year? Make sure to check back next week for those crazy hunts for 2013 releases.
IMG_9856.jpeg
IMG_9856.jpeg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 619 times
Attachments
IMG_9854.jpeg
IMG_9854.jpeg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 619 times
IMG_9853.jpeg
IMG_9853.jpeg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 619 times
IMG_9857.jpeg
IMG_9857.jpeg (5.1 MiB) Viewed 619 times
IMG_9863.jpeg
IMG_9863.jpeg (3.57 MiB) Viewed 619 times
IMG_9864.jpeg
IMG_9864.jpeg (4.97 MiB) Viewed 619 times

Kal-El
FOUNDER KAL-EL
FOUNDER KAL-EL

Re: A look back at GI Joe 2012

Post by Kal-El »

2012 was not a terrible year for G.I. Joe by any means. However Paramount's changing of the release date for the movie coupled with Hasbro sending out toys them hitting shelves and then being removed and re-released later was a cluster foul up. I think that fanboat aka 'NOT Water Moccasin' is my favorite from that year.

john shaft
LOYAL CADRE
LOYAL CADRE

Post by john shaft »

2012 had a lot of crap but I think the highlights were the Dollar General figures and the Beach Head from the Ninja Dojo 3-pack. Other than that Hasbro really took a nose dive that year.
ImageImage

Kal-El
FOUNDER KAL-EL
FOUNDER KAL-EL

Post by Kal-El »

john shaft wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:16 pm 2012 had a lot of crap but I think the highlights were the Dollar General figures and the Beach Head from the Ninja Dojo 3-pack. Other than that Hasbro really took a nose dive that year.
The big flaw of that whole mess was the ROCK centric part of the line and making him 'Roadblock the Ninja'..lol.

john shaft
LOYAL CADRE
LOYAL CADRE

Post by john shaft »

Kal-El wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:44 pm
john shaft wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:16 pm 2012 had a lot of crap but I think the highlights were the Dollar General figures and the Beach Head from the Ninja Dojo 3-pack. Other than that Hasbro really took a nose dive that year.
The big flaw of that whole mess was the ROCK centric part of the line and making him 'Roadblock the Ninja'..lol.
Totally agree! There were some great sculpts of "Rockblock" but making him a ninja was lame. But I guess they were following in Hama's footsteps of making EVERYONE a ninja. lol
ImageImage

Kal-El
FOUNDER KAL-EL
FOUNDER KAL-EL

Post by Kal-El »

john shaft wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:55 pm
Kal-El wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:44 pm
Totally agree! There were some great sculpts of "Rockblock" but making him a ninja was lame. But I guess they were following in Hama's footsteps of making EVERYONE a ninja. lol
I don't know what shifted, but they were scared to death to make G.I. Joe military for a few years in there all the way up to the first wave of Classified giving them all nerf blasters. Then they inexplicably listened to the fans and now we are back to realistic military stuff. I am shocked but have zero complaints.

Train
ADMINISTRATOR TRAIN
ADMINISTRATOR TRAIN
Code Name: Train
File Name: Mitch Smith
Grade: E

Post by Train »

I forgot to give Adam a huge shoutout for hooking me up with a Fangboat back then

yorktownjoe
ADMINISTRATOR YORKTOWNJOE
ADMINISTRATOR YORKTOWNJOE
Code Name: YorktownJoe
File Name: Classified
Primary Military Specialty: Counter-intelligence
Secondary Military Specialty: Sense o' humor
Grade: O-4

Post by yorktownjoe »

I really like my Dollar General Green Shipwreck from that year, but I turned him into a custom "Sgt. York" by adding the spare disguise head from desert Zartan. It fits perfectly and I liked him and he is no doubt in a "tote of fun" from the modern era figures.

I also got the all blacked out Dollar General Cobra Officer from my younger son for Christmas. Though I received other gifts that year, that is the only thing I remember at this moment...

john shaft
LOYAL CADRE
LOYAL CADRE

Post by john shaft »

yorktownjoe wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:57 pm I really like my Dollar General Green Shipwreck from that year, but I turned him into a custom "Sgt. York" by adding the spare disguise head from desert Zartan. It fits perfectly and I liked him and he is no doubt in a "tote of fun" from the modern era figures.

I also got the all blacked out Dollar General Cobra Officer from my younger son for Christmas. Though I received other gifts that year, that is the only thing I remember at this moment...
I loved the DG black Cobra Officer as well as 2013's repaint. I think they were going with the Cobra Officer from the comic ads and it looked great.
ImageImage

Return to “OUTBACK'S OUTPOST”